Thursday, November 11, 2010

Languages

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I know the three most widely-used languages in the world - English, Mandarin, and Spanish. The trouble is, I'm not terribly good at any of them. My first language was Mandarin, but I was never required to speak it at home so my speaking ability has been diminishing quickly, especially after I left Chinese school. Spanish, well, I never knew well, so my speaking ability is also quite pitiable. The sad thing (or hopeful thing?) is that I know I can get a lot better in both languages if I just screw up the courage to actually use them regularly. But whenever I speak in Mandarin or Spanish, I know that objectively I sound like an idiot, and then I stop. Same with singing. I really want to learn how to sing well, but I'm too self-conscious to try. Sometimes I want to just go to the far reaches of campus and talk to myself in Spanish and Mandarin and English like a crazy person. Or sing whatever. That would be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment